Dr. Vanesa Gregorc
IRCCS San Raffaele Hospital in Milan (since 2001)
– Thoracic Oncologist, Head-Neck and Melanoma Area Coordinator at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan
– Group leader at the Research Division of Molecular Oncology at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan
Clinical and research activity
Doctor Gregorc performs clinical and research activities on thoracic neoplasms with a focus on identifying biomarkers to choose targeted therapies tailored to the need of a patient.
She has participated in the development of various innovative treatments such as antitumor drugs today available in clinical practices: EGFR inhibitors (afatinib, erlotinib, gefitinib) and ALK inhibitors (crizotinib, alectinib, brigatinib, lorlatinib), antivascular and antiangiogenic (nintedanib, ramucirumab, bevacizumab) and immunotherapeutic treatments (atezolizumab, nivolumab, pembrolizumab). She has also been contributing, for more than 20 years, to the development of various chemotherapeutic drugs for the treatment of solid tumors, specifically lung and pleural mesothelioma tumors.
Vanesa Gregorc is also coordinator and initiator of various research projects not associated with the pharmaceutical sector: studies on experimental treatments, new diagnostic-therapeutic approaches for pulmonary carcinoma and malignant pleural mesothelioma.
She promoted and completed a national study on the advanced stage of pulmonary carcinoma to explore and confirm the role of a method of predicting the response of a treatment using proteomic. In 2013 her project was selected to be presented at the American congress ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology) and published in the renowned magazine JNCI (Journal of the National Cancer Institute). The study was also inserted in the NCI (National Cancer Institute) guidelines for the choice of line II treatment for pulmonary carcinoma.
Doctor Gregorc has also contributed to the study of the anti-tumor drug NGR-TNFalfa from its insertion in the body to the treatment of pleural mesothelioma. The drug is currently being evaluated by EMA (European Medicines Agency) to be registered in Europe, and studied to treat microcytoma in association with anthracyclines with promising results.
Doctor Gregorc has also won different Grants for research projects from AIRC (the Italian Research Association against Cancer), the Ministry of Health and the Umbra association “Lotta Contro il Cancro”.
Knowledge and Information are tools for a better treatment.
I have great interest for innovative and personalized therapies, for the quality of life of patients and the educational and informational support they receive as it leads to a greater comprehension of the diagnostic and therapeutic choices they make.
– Vanesa Gregorc –
– Contract Professor of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Vita-Salute San Raffaele University for the MD International Program-Course Oncology.
– Professor at the European School of Oncology (ESO) – Master class
Ministry of Health collaboration
– Member of the commission for the development of a National Health Research Program as well Supervisor of Research and Scientific Institution Centers in Italy (From 2011 to 2013).
– General Secretary of the Working Lung Group “Alleanza Contro il Cancro” and Member of the Working Groups Melanoma, Immunology and Genomics
Co-founder of the online platform for second medical opinions from medical experts Ultraspecialisti.com.
Creator and promoter of a website dedicated to pulmonary tumors: Tumorealpolmone.it
Founder member of Lucenetwork, the Italian community for the development of clinical studies against thoracic neoplasms.
Education and training
General Pathology, Medicine and Surgery Laboratory at the University of Perugia (1993-5)
Medical Degree at the University of Perugia, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (1997)
Workshop ACCR/ASCO/FECS: research Methodology (2001)
Specialization in Oncology at the University of Perugia (2002)
Diploma from The Mont Sinai School of Medicine di New York for a formation course (2003)
Registered to the Certified Medical Association “Albo dei Medici”
Registered to the Certified Medical Association “Albo dei Medici” in Milan, n° 39190.
Medical Career & Medical Membership
Since 2001 she works at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan as Oncologist and has covered various roles:
– Coordinator of the Oncological Thoracic group since 2003
– Coordinator of the Melanoma division since 2013
– Coordinator of the Thoracic, Melanoma, Head-Neck Division since 2015
– Member and Coordinator of the Disease Unit of thoracic neoplasm and author of PDTA (Assistance in diagnostic and therapeutic path) on pulmonary tumors at the San Raffaele Hospital.
– Member of the Disease Unit of Melanoma at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.
– Member of the Disease Unit of the Head-Neck Division at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.
– Coordinator of Homecare assistance for patients diagnosed with tumors under the care of Umbra Association “Lotta contro il Cancro” (1998-2001).
Vanesa Gregorc has operated in the Oncological Division and Molecular diagnostic laboratory of the Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital in Perugia. (1994-2001)
She has worked in different positions as scientific director, member of faculty, moderator and speaker on thoracic neoplasm at various national and international events.
– Member of the Scientific Committee “San Raffaele Scientific Retreat”.
– Member of the San Raffaele Hospital committee for patent assessment.
– Member of the “Moses Project” Committee of ESMO (European Society for Medical Oncology)
– Member of ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
– Member of IASLC International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer.
– Member of the European Society for Medical Oncology, ESMO.
– Member of AIOM (Italian Society for Medical Oncology).
– General Secretary and Vice President of Films Aulmni Club.
Has participated to more than 200 educational lectures, presentations at national and international events.
Her articles are published in internationally renowned scientific magazines such as Clinical Cancer Research (USA), Cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology (USA), Journal of the National Cancer Institute (UK), Lung Cancer, Annals of Oncology (UK), British Journal of Cancer and Lancet Oncology (UK).
Editor of scientific papers for renowned scientific magazines such as Lung Cancer (USA), Journal of Clinical Oncology (USA), Journal of Thoracic Oncology (USA), Journal of the National Cancer Institute (UK) etc.
Author and Co-Author of various textbooks in the field of thoracic neoplasm and mesothelioma.
– Mesotelioma, Eziopatogenesi, presentazione clinica e percorso diagnostico-terapeutico. Ghio D, Gregorc V. Medicina e Diritto 3/2009, Sessione Focus. pg 14-23, Maggioli Editore
– Medicina Interna Sistematica di C. Rugarli, Masson S.p.A anno 2005 – V edizione; anno 2010 – VI ediizione (ristampa anno 2008, 2009)
2010 – Contributo in volume (Capitolo o Saggio)
Belli C, Gregorc V, Lazzari C, Longhini E, Pardi R, Spreafico A, Viganò MG (2010). Tumori del polmone. In: Rugarli. Medicina Interna Sistematica. Sesta edizione.
2005 – Contributo in volume (Capitolo o Saggio)
Longhini E, Pardi R, Gregorc V (2005). Tumori dell’apparato respiratorio. In: Rugarli. Medicina Interna sistematica. Quinta edizione.
– Amianto: responsabilità e risarcimento dei danni, di C. Altomare, M. Cucci, D. Ghio, V. Gregorc, F. Martini, N. Murgia, G. Rossi, Medicina e Diritto, Magioli Editore, 2010
Italian – English – Croatian – Slovenian – German